Are you missing one or more permanent teeth? You may recommend from dental implants. At Dana Dental Arts in Spearfish, South Dakota, and Rapid City, South Dakota our dentists can provide both implant placement (man-made root) and implant restorations (man-made teeth). Dental implants look, feel, and function like healthy, natural teeth. We welcome you to contact our dental office today to learn more and to schedule a consultation with Drs. Mick, Brad, Nicole, and Monique Dana. Drs. Brad, Nicole and Monique received their fellowships in oral implantology from Rocky Mountain Dental Institute and their masterships in oral implantology from the International Congress of Oral Implantology (ICOI).
Dental Implants FAQs
What is a dental implant, and how does it work?
Dental implants have been used to replace teeth for over 30 years. They are an excellent long-term solution to missing or damaged teeth for the right candidate. Dental implants are man-made roots. Within a few months after the man-made roots have been placed, bone attaches to them, and a man-made tooth is then affixed. Implants can either replace individual missing teeth or be used to support removable dentures.
Who is a candidate for dental implants?
If you have one or more missing teeth, or a denture that is loose or uncomfortable, and you generally have good oral health, you may be a good candidate for dental implants. When you come in for your appointment, we can better determine what type of treatment is best for you. We are happy to answer your questions and review what you can expect during and after treatment if you choose to have dental implants.
How long will it take?
Implant therapy typically requires several steps over a period of three months to one year, depending on your case. A customized treatment plan is the first step.
How do I care for my dental implants?
Dental implants need to be cared for like regular teeth. Brushing and flossing, as well as regular dental visits, are recommended. If properly cared for, your dental implants can last a lifetime.
Reasons for implants:
- Dental implants look, feel, and function like healthy, natural teeth.
- When teeth are missing, the surrounding bone begins to shrink because it is no longer stimulated by chewing, and the jawbone changes shape due to the bone loss; dental implants can prevent this deterioration so that your face will retain its natural shape.
- Dental implants restore proper chewing, allowing for a better diet and improved overall health.
- Dental implants can be used to support a denture. Loose, uncomfortable dentures and messy adhesives could be a thing of the past.
- The space created from a lost tooth allows the other teeth to shift, resulting in biting problems and the loosening of the remaining teeth. Dental implants preserve the shape of the natural arch of your teeth and protect the position and health of the remaining teeth.